Log in

No account? Create an account


There's a storm in my teacup!

Well, in my dollar store mug.

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
(no subject)
After last week, where I worked quite a bit and felt quite accomplished at the end of it, I wonder how I'm going to deal with less hours and the less hectic schedule I'll be back to. I think I prefer the idea of more hours at work to more hours at home, with some of the family melodrama that's developed.

My sister has now left for Spain with her boyfriend because my Nan has nagged her so much. I wonder how different things might have been if I'd visited Nan more, so she had someone else to rant at. This is the woman who I was able to chart at nagging three times an hour whilst being here for Christmas - this statistic accounts for the times she was sleeping.

Nan's ranting about this - except now she's got nobody to scream at aside from using the telephone. It's going to make trips up to her place on the Friday interesting, as it'll be one of the few times she'll get company in the week now. She's truly fallen into this state of mind where she can't get out of the house now. I'm not sure what to do about this, as she's not going to change how she is. She's a stubborn one. Maybe I'll have to look into how she can get a care worker pop round. She needs someone to help her with the things that she's unable to do, and if she won't let us help...

To get a joint bank account set up I need my passport, the three bank statements from the last three months, and proof of address. Does Jamie need it too? Maybe she needs to set up another account first and I have to tack on to it. Either way, this bank situation could be one of the quickest things to organise.

  • 1
Usually you BOTH need ID and you have to go in together to set up a joint account. You can add yourself on to her account, but it would make you "secondary" and not equal holding on the account (At least this is how Barclays do it, I worked for them last summer).

Okay. But Jamie is a student from the US; she has no fixed abode. As a result, the only proof of address she has are letters from friends and school and such - no utility bills.

The reason we seek to do this is to attempt to show a purpose of wanting to live together, which may help Jamie stay in the country. Do you have any ideas on how this could be done - the only account Jamie may be able to set up may be an international student account; I can't attach myself onto that.

She may be able to use her proof of address from the US, and then you can have your main address now as the "Contact Address" for her, since she still technically resides in the USA, but explain to them that you will be living together shortly (or you want to live together, whatever).

Does she have a job at all? Many banks require you to have an income if you're an international banking customer, because of the risks it involves for them.

The other option is to enquire at the bank about getting one in your own name and adding her as a secondary user, because then her name will be on the account, but she won't be the person primarily responsible for maintaining the account.

Best thing you can do is to give the bank a call. I personally would recommend Barclays, because I know they have a lot of international dealings (I dealt with quite a few myself). Plus they're reliable too.

Re: Let's try again.

We had to walk to Barclays today as I had to put money into the bank. I asked a lady there and she seemed confused with the idea of Jamie giving her address as from the US. She told us if Jamie could get a provisional license that could be used as proof, but a provisional license costs money and needs someone 'professional' to sign it: this professional must live in the UK and have known Jamie for two years.

So: problem.

  • 1